How about fasting on material possessions? We can all use a little "spring cleaning"-- prune our closets and give them to charitable institutions which will distribute them to the needy. Lots of people actually need many things we've forgotten we own. Apparently, the rule of thumb is if you haven't used it in six months, discard it, whether it be clothes, books, old notes, etc.
Fasting will also apply to turning into a recessionista from a fashionista. Refrain from buying things out of lust. It's not only right to observe poverty of the spirit, it's also practical in these tough times. This idea of fasting to include materialism hit me hard, as I was in the middle of deliberating whether to buy this bloody fantastic pair of jeans that almost had me shelling out a five-figure sum. Yes, they are so lust-worthy that I even considered them in the first place. The article helped me decide, even though the pros were more than the cons in my notes. I'm sure I'll regret not buying the jeans forever, but who knows, they might still be there after Lent, at a discounted price (aside from the 10% loyalty card discount B can get for me).
I'm banning myself from shopping for the next 3 weeks. I'm going to need money for all the traveling I want to do this year, and I simply must get my priorities straight.