Yesterday while taking a ten minute break, I went to the women's store to say goodbye to a colleague. It was the last time I would see her because it's her day off today. I was feeling particularly sentimental and wanted to say goodbye to all the friends I've made in the building. I passed by Tony's store but he was busy.
Today at half past four, Tony was an especially welcome visitor because of the sluggish day. I was surprised to see him enter my shop though, as in the two months we've known each other we never went past waving hello from afar. I was staring at the screen looking at some figures when he walked in.
"Wake up, wake up!" he said cheerfully, clapping his hands. We made small talk, and finally I said, "It's my last day today."
Surprised, he asked, "Where are you going?"
"Home. To my country."
"Why?" he asked, as if it was the most ridiculous thing he's ever heard.
"Because I've finished my course."
Suddenly, Tony grabbed my hand and said, "Come, let's get married." When he let go, he said,
That's very sad news. Very sad news!"
We talked some more. He wanted to know when I'm coming back, and what I'm going to do back home. He told me a little bit about himself. It felt strange that we didn't know anything about each other until then.
"That's very said news today," he said again, shaking his head. "You should've worked here two months earlier! I would've married you!" He glanced at me before continuing, "Even though I'm about ten to twelve years older than you!" He revealed that he's thirty-five years old.
I didn't know what to say so I just laughed. Unfortunately it didn't dispel the awkward moment. In the end, after repeating what a bad news my leaving is three more times, we didn't have anymore to say. We said our farewells and wished each other luck.
"Say hi next time when you come back," he said.
"Okay, I will," I said.
He came in hoping to start something, and came out with an ending. Funny, I was able to say goodbye after all.
No comments:
Post a Comment