Sometimes, you really wonder if there's such a thing as a coincidence. Yesterday, while slugging the manic-Monday-post-holiday morning out, I began getting frustrated and depressed because I thought, I'm better than this. I want to die knowing that I was really good at one thing, and I felt what I'm not getting closer to that end.
That afternoon, my Korean friend slash book buddy dropped by the office to lend me a book I've been looking all over for: The Dip by Seth Godin. On the front cover, the book is described as "a little book that teaches you when to quit (and when to stick)."
It is a small book, but there's a lot in it worth chewing over. So what is the Dip? The Dip is the sinkhole that trips up people to prevent us from being the best at something. It's the pain that makes you stop exercising before it pays off. It's the difficult bar exam that prevents all law graduates from getting to the other side, where a handful of lawyers enjoy six-digit salaries and prestige. It's the hardship and cost of perfecting a product that makes businesses settle on being number four instead of number one.
The book teaches you about strategic quitting, i.e. don't even start something if you know you're not going to be the best in the world at it; quit if you're just doing what you're doing now because it's easier to stick to the familiar; quit if you've settled on having average skills, leading an average life, because you can be the best if only your energy and resouces are not (gasp!) misdirected.
In order to know when to quit, you should be able to recognize which sort of curve you are in: is it the kind that, if you chose not to quit and go all-out to conquer it, will yield results that will benefit you for a long time (the Dip), or the kind that tells you to quit not soon but now because you're heading towards a dead end (Cul-de-sac), or maybe the curve where you just can't quit until it comes to be a matter of life and death, like smoking (the Cliff).
These concepts are not new, of course. We already know that we all have serious potentials, we know that if something is difficult then it's probably worth doing, and if you're a motivated person, goal-oriented person, you will agree that being average is the most despicable thing to become. But what really stuck to me was the idea that being well-rounded is not the way to success. Everything we learned in school is wrong! You won't be sought out as the best in the world at something if you're good at everything. In college, I wanted to get straight A's in all subjects. I'd get two or three A's, make sure the rest are B+'s and settle for B on the subjects I don't like. Boy, if only I didn't waste energy on all those subjects and focused on the one class that got my rapt attention and made me look forward to going to school. If only I used up my units on PR classes instead of spreading them out on film and advertising too... I didn't know it then, but I should have pursued the quest for specialization, not excellence.
I was so attracted to being multi-talented, to the thought that I could master anything that life set me up for. I might have sacrificed a couple of years for a post-college degree, and it would entail staggering costs, being away from home, physical, mental and emotional suffering, but from all that would accrue life-long benefits that include being highly valued, happy and fulfilled.
I want to say so much more about the book, to share my thoughts on it, but mostly it would be about me and the decisions I have made. So I'll stop here. I know, it's depressing. But the good news is that it's not too late. We can quit whatever we're doing now, whether it be sticking to a situation too long just because we've become comfortable, or keeping our potentials dormant by indecision and inaction... it's not too late to quit. In fact, the time is now. By letting the Dip keep us down, we are making those on top more valuable. You and I are good enough; there's only ourselves to convince.
It's true that it's absurd to seek to excel in everything (unless I guess if you're a natural polymath and, well, you know, you can't help it because your genes compel you to be good at a a lot of stuff... incidentally, i secretly detest these freaks of genetic mutation. T_T... Oh, fine. I'm just jealous...) But I think it's not totally right either to "pursue" specialization. It connotes a stressful undertaking, deliberately chosen or calculated but not necessarily loved. "Don't even start something if you know you're not going to be the best in the world at it?" Why not just start something out of pure curiosity? Do something because of the joy it gives you even though you're not that good at it? Why do you have to be the best? Nobody's the best at anything. Why do you have to have the mindset that "we are making those on top more valuable" and what are we "good enough" for? Why not just let other people be and as for ourselves, well, let us be us. The capitalistic society that we live in make us believe that every thing has to be a competition (when you say you want to be the best at something it precludes that you're desire is to be the best above everyone else therefore you are competing with other people) when it doesn't have to be. I think being "good at everything" doesn't sound all that bad actually. As people are not so simple and so easily categorized under neat labels, it's hard to believe that an individual can be really really good at one thing. And how do you measure such levels of excellence in a certain field for example? Public acceptance? Bull! How many times do you think public opinion made an error either as judged by a later generation due to change in trends/authority or by harmful effects it brought about?
ReplyDeleteThe important thing I think is to be happy. Do things that make you happy. Stop comparing with other people and learn to live in the present. Be happy and fulfilled but scratch out "highly valued". The only person you need to impress is yourself.
Feel free to call me a hypocrite though. I still have yet to catch up with my rhetoric. hahahaha...
oh damn. i used the word "preclude" in the wrong context. (and I so wanted to use the word for soooo long now... hahaha...) Never mind. I'm sure you know what I meant in that line.
ReplyDeleteDoing something you don't like is the very thing that the book advises people against. Doing something that doesn't really interest you is precisely what makes you quit (eventually) or makes you settle on being average. To specialize in the one arena where you feel you truly belong is an obligation of every person to himself. It is a choice and commitment to realize your highest potential, and being at your best should lead you to a state of fulfillment and happiness.
ReplyDeleteOf course you can try as many things as you like, as long as you know what you’re doing it for. There's nothing wrong with just letting others be and doing your own thing. I'm not encouraging the idea that the world decides your self worth. Ultimately, we decide for ourselves our own definition of success and failure. It’s just that my definition of failure is not having the guts to risk everything and give my best shot at the one thing I know I can be really good at, and to die knowing I wasted my life on things that were just easy—those low hanging fruits that were there for the picking.
It is said that if it doesn't cost you your life, it's not a quest. That quest is not for others but for yourself. Being highly valued and the best in the world are just consequences of that quest. How many people are really passionate about butterfly species? The people who specialize in this field are valued because they are scarce. It doesn't hurt that they get paid well (I assume) for what they like to do. I should clarify that “the best in the world” is flexible. Who decides what best is depends on who you're trying to influence. The world is that sphere in which those you're trying to influence have access to, not the globe literally. I can be the best Executive Assistant in the world simply based on the convenience and preference of my boss. On the flipside, the best bookstore in the world is National Bookstore, because they always have what I can't find in other bookstores, and at prices I am willing to pay for. You decide the best writer/bank/dentist/ice cream in the world is.
To be literally the best in the world is daunting, and probably stupid unless you're a multinational corporation or you have an obsession. But it can be done. It will just take much more sacrifices and hardships that other people are not willing to undertake. But that's what adds value to you—for others, and I’m guessing as you look in the mirror at the end of the day, for yourself.
Whew! Peace! :)
"Who decides what best is depends on who you're trying to influence."
ReplyDeleteHahaha... I like that.
Well! That clarifies everything. (Although I don't agree with National Bookstore part -____-)
Here's to personal growth and happiness mehn! ^__^