We had drawing class today. Some of my classmates were asked to pose in front of the class and we drew their shapes. Our professor roamed around inspecting students' works and when he got to me, he said, "What's your name?" When I told him he said, "Would you like to teach this class instead of me?" and then announced to everyone that I would be teaching the next class. It's amazing how incapable some of my classmates are at hand drawing. Then again, designers aren't always artists.
I just remembered what I hate most about school. It's the getting to know you part at the beginning of the school term. Teachers ask you to introduce yourself and give a bit of background to the class. In my morning class today, somehow the backgrounder was about how we ended up enrolled in the course. When I shared my story, the teacher asked, "Why take this course when you already have all that [experience]?" How could she have seen right through me? That's what I ask myself everyday that I'm here. Thinking back, I should've said, "Well I'm hoping you'd help me find out." But my wit isn't quick enough.
I like my class. We come from so many different countries it makes me think of UN. I was surprised there's only 2 Australians in our group. It's not so much the cultural diversity that interests me, though. I just like the idea that several years from now, I can travel to Norway, Paris, the Netherlands, Mauritius, Latvia, Indonesia, Korea, Thailand, China and Taiwan knowing I can crash into somebody's house there.
Oh I received my first mail today in Sydney -- well first few anyway. The State Library of NSW did send me my library card! I didn't think they really would after I applied for a membership online last week. That's local government for you. Now I'm a member of 2 libraries!
In my makeshift bookshelf:
Adventures, Audrey Niffenager - finished reading
Stardust, Neil Gaiman - finished reading
Chez Moi, Agnes Desarthe - currently reading
The Pleasure of My Company, Steve Martin
Winner of the National Book Award, Jincy Willet
We're entitled to 20 books for 3 weeks, with one chance of renewal. If I wasn't so worried in becoming a loner, I would've borrowed more.