Friday, July 31, 2009

Sydney, where anything can happen in a day

Went shopping today with my Norwegian friend. First stop was Greenwood Plaza which is closest to the school. Then we took the train to the city and looked around QVB. I wanted to look more but I had to consider my companion who was already hungry. Seeing as the best pizza place in QVB had no more tables, we walked to Darling Harbor where the Sydney International Boat Show is being held. I actually packed lunch, but it was too embarrassing not to order at the restaurant. My friend mentioned she felt like having a burger. I ended up having the burger, while she got a pizza. I thought the chicken breast burger was nothing special and very much overpriced. It paid off though, as a job opportunity resulted from our lunch date.

My friend used to work at a restaurant where she met her current boyfriend. As I'm looking for a job, she asked if I wanted her to refer me. I found out enough about the restaurant to know that most waitresses there are Germans and Aussies, and that they only accept pretty applicants. She told me to put bogus waitressing experience in my resume. All that mattered, she said, was I'm bubbly, happy and just... "sparkly". Ah, all the things I'm not.

We went to a store called Supre where we did more shopping, and then to Sydney's Apple store. Impressive glass building of three (or more) floors, full of Apple products. Then we checked out the restaurant, which is so huge it worried me. I met her boyfriend and together they introduced me to the manager. I'm not sure how the interview went, just that I lied pretty well and smiled whenever there was an opportunity. I hope he saw some personality, as the only other thing that could've sparkled were my teeth, and I haven't brushed my teeth since morning.

The manager asked me to send my CV once I get my RSA. There comes the problem. An RSA is a license in the hospitality industry indicating a person's eligibility to serve alcohol to the public. A day of training costs $80. I don't know if it's worth going through all the trouble and the expense since I'm not going to be able to use it when I go back. But I do want a job, and it will be easier to get other jobs with the RSA, even if I don't pursue this one. Admittedly, the restaurant intimidated me. How can I serve businessmen? How can I memorize German beers? How can I even pronounce them? And what about the sausages???

Today's a good day though. I was choosing between going shopping or handling my resume to every cafe and restaurant in the city, or going to my school's pub night, and I did all three. Yep, good day.