Monday, August 3, 2009

Incident report

Went to the State Library of NSW to do some research. The place is MASSIVE! But I didn't have much difficulty navigating it as the system is similar to the Rizal Library of Ateneo. How I miss that place. The best thing about going the library for me is the feeling I'd get finishing whatever it was I needed to do. As I head out the door, I am elated as a sense of freedom rushes over me: Well that's done, now let's have some fun! But of course, that's provided I have friends to have fun with.

I gave in to my cravings today for lunch (read about the entry at Rhowzeee's Chows). I felt like having it in the park, which was a good decision as the weather was great today. After lunch, two young Asian girls approached me with a note of hesitation.

The younger girl first spoke. "Hi. My name is (I forgot). Um... Did you hear about Korea?" I told her I have heard of it. "Um... I am Korean," the girl continued. "I am studying English."
She paused, and what a long pause it was. It seemed she'd lost what she was supposed to say next. The older girl came to her rescue.

"Could you please sign?" She thrust a notebook and pen at me. "What, that's all?" I asked, baffled. She nodded. I signed my name in both their notebooks, thinking their teacher must be nuts giving this assignment.

Leaving Hyde Park, I had a stupid accident. I threw the David Jones plastic containing the stockings I purchased earlier into the bin instead of the Hungry Jack's paper bag in my other hand! Good thing the bin was half full, so I was able to retrieve it without much ado. AND fortunately it was clean inside. Imagine if I had to call a park maintenance just to get the tiny plastic for me!

Flustered, I headed out into the street, where I found two Aussie guys blocking my path. The guy on the left made a football throwing action and was shouting something like "catch of the day." I thought there were guys behind me so I ignored him. As I walked past him I realized he was talking to me.

"Hi, how 'ya doin?" he said, holding out his hand.
I shook it. "Good, thanks." I braced myself to be sales talked into buying something or checking out some pub or the other.
"Are you a dancer?"
"No."
"Are you a model?"
"No." I couldn't believe I was having this conversation.
"What do you do?"
"I'm a student."
"Great, what are you studying?"
"Design."
"I love you. Alright, have a nice day. Take care"
In my mind, I was thinking, What just happened? Aloud, I said, "Thanks, you too."

This is why it's annoying to be alone.