The city on a Saturday is filled with weekend markets and people out to spend money. Thanks to the shops closing up so early everyday, people can only go shopping with their families on weekends. Most of the stations are connected to malls, but how is shopping recreational if not with family or friends? And I say that with no small amount of bitterness.
Apparently, weekend is also the time for Sydney's railway repairs. I found that out after I bought a return ticket on Friday night. The good thing is the public was provided a bus instead that honors train tickets. But I had encountered a mishap on the way home. I usually take the train but since my station was undergoing repairs, I had to take a bus again. The problem is the government has implemented a prepay system in most buses, which means you need to buy your ticket from 7-11 or such places beforehand. On the bus, one inserts the ticket in a machine that checks its validity and marks it as used. The thing is, you need to be familiar with the bus system to know your bus number, etc, to be able to buy from unofficial stores. Obviously, I didn't know mine, and I had come to the bus stop taking my chance.

.jpg)
.jpg)
When my bus arrived, I nervously got on and let everybody else insert their tickets before talking to the driver. I was afraid of looking like an idiot.
"Hi. I don't have a ticket," I began, tilting my head to the right for effect. I was about to ask if I can pay with coins, but the driver just waved me over. So, amazingly, I got the bus ride for free.
There were some interesting sights that day. For instance, I chanced upon this man creating music using beer bottles outside of Market City.

.jpg)
Considering that it's all beer bottles, the music wasn't so bad. Market City seems like the Greenhills of our country. It's where you find imitation designer bags, apparels made from China, fake jewelry, cheap souvenirs and whatnot. Of course, the prices still don't compare to what we enjoy, but then again it's all relative.
I found a Japanese cosmetics shop and found this:
.jpg)
I remember how my mother used to make me pinch the bridge of my nose when I was young to make it more aquiline. There were times I'd end up with a vertical line in the middle of my nose from all the pinching. I wish it worked for me, but regardless of the lack of scientific evidence, a tool for the purpose has apparently been created. What can I say, that's an advanced country for you!
Lucky you with the bus. I got kicked out of the bus in Richmond. hahaha!
ReplyDeleteFunny street performer! Does he drink and play at the same time?
no, he was perfectly sober. if he did id donate some coins myself!
ReplyDeletewhat a bothersome bus ticket system...
ReplyDeleteyeah i know! but the good thing is the buses are always on schedule with their stops. hehe i saved about 140 pesos with my ride home. :)
ReplyDelete