Thursday, December 11, 2008

Socializing in Mars

It began with Manila Autosalon 2008. Since then, I've been whisked to automotive industry functions left and right, the most recent of which is the Mitsubishi Christmas party last night. I have met automotive journalists, racers, C! owners, car manufacturer big wigs, too many autoshop businessmen, to name a few. "Welcome to my world," B said.

In parties where the ratio stands at one girl for every table of 10, it can be alienating at first. But try immersing in this testosterone-charged environment and you'll find it's actually quite comforting. The guys are just like your father or what an older brother would've been like. They are extremely friendly, funny, yet intelligent and cultured. They're the regular Joes of this world who stick to the basics: food, cars and beautiful women.

I am now known in the automotive industry as "B's girlfriend" because that's how he would introduce me to people. I can't help but wonder: Is he purposely taking me to his parties to show me off as he would a brand new car?? This suspicion is stoked by the fact that he's received several envious albeit joking remarks from colleagues. The burning question in my mind now is, as with any new possession, what will happen when the shiny new object loses its luster?

No comments:

Post a Comment