Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Bad kind of surprise -- Result

That wasn't so bad. Lunch was at Izakaya Kikufuji (first time to have Uni). Apparently, my empathetic boyfriend surprised me and his family. They had no idea I was joining them for lunch. According to B, it was the first time he brought anyone for them to meet, but they reacted as though it happens everyday. Well, except for his ahya, who I caught checking me out. I met his parents, his siblings, his brother's family, his father's younger brother and a cousin from Singapore. They were all okay; no signs of psycopath tendencies in the family. They didn't ask a lot of questions-- in fact they hardly paid me any attention. It weirded me out but I guess I wouldn't have liked the alternative.

It's only when we're around other people that I remember B's age. During lunch, I sat in between him and his cousin who's a grade school teacher in Canadian IS Singapore. We were chatting, and then suddenly she called to B, "Ahya, where can I buy dri-fit shirts?" In my mind I was screaming, She calls him 'ahya'!!!

"She just called you ahya!" I whispered to B.
"Yeah," he said, oblivious to the incredulity of it.
"How old is she?"
"Twenty-six, I think." At that, realization dawned and he looked at me and smiled.

While I was talking to the uncle, B's mom asked him where I went for college. When he told him, she said, "Graduate na, noh?" We laughed about it in the car; she might as well have said, "She better not be as young as I think she is."

I forget our age gap because it doesn't seem to matter. We're both goofballs when we're together, and something tells me our mental ages meet somewhere in the middle. But no matter how many times I'm reminded how old he is, I'm still awed every time. And, oddly enough, I like him even more.

One last Christmas to go! This is the ultimate challenge. This is the mother of all Christmases. Meet Guama.

I'm scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment