Watching the movie made me realize I sort of miss dating. I miss knowing that every guy is a possibility, and everyday something magical can happen. Err, ok that sounds too romantic. What I really think is that dating, whether good or bad, always leaves us with interesting stories to tell later on. The idea of getting to know someone outside of your world can be scary, but that's what makes it exciting-- the thrill of the unfamiliar. You only get harmed in dating when you overthink and assume too much, hence the necessity for someone to write the book "he's just not that into you."
I got to thinking if I ever had that kind of experience, and sadly I have. It was early last year and I was dating this guy N--. We went out a couple of times and I genuinely thought we had something promising, until I found out he just broke up with a girl right after our second date. Looking back, I don't know if that's even true. Anyway, we went out for more than a month until Valentine's season. Even though he didn't profess adoration, he gave all the signals that he was into me. Needless to say, I expected something on Valentine's day, but I got nil (maybe he actually still was with his ex that time that's why he couldn't ask me out). At least my eyes were wide open to the truth and I dropped him quickly. Can't say it didn't hurt though... well, more on the ego really. Now we are only friends through Facebook, and I keep seeing photos of him with his girlfriend. He seems happy, which is why I was puzzled when just the other day he texted me asking how I was. I had already lost his number so when he told me his name, I pretended it didn't register. He tried to engage me in small talk until eventually he asked for my Yahoo! Messenger ID, (I didn't reply). See, men.
Going back to the movie, it's fun to catch with girlfriends. I would've appreciated it more if I was single, yet I'm glad I'm through all that... uncertainty and self-doubt. There's just one thing that's been bugging me. I walked out of the theater thinking, sure a girl should know if a guy's not that into you, but do you always know how much you yourself are into someone?
(To be continued...)