I need a break from work. So... I'm going to write about the benefits of power walking in Makati. People are confounded when they find out I deliberately take the longer route to my office, which adds 10-15 minutes of brisk walking to the otherwise 3 minutes leisurely walk from my stop.
What's good about walking to work:
1. Duh, it's exercise. Sure your hair's not as perfect by the time you get to the office, but it's absolutely invigorating.
2. I don't crave for coffee after my power walk. Something about sweating and drinking coffee afterwards doesn't mix.
3. You get to appraise people's outfits along Ayala, and sometimes you even get ideas! Honestly, it's practically a fashion show.
4. You get to take mental snapshots of outfits you like.. and sometimes even those you don't. I once saw a girl crossing Paseo de Roxas who was wearing such a tight skirt I could almost hear her thighs protesting, and an imaginary ripping sound.
5. You get good morning greetings from strangers. You don't have to greet back all the time, but it feels nice.
6. The park near my office. Gosh I love that park in the morning. I always fight the urge to stop and sit for a while, just enjoying the morning sun (while prissy dogs are all around with their yayas).
7. It makes you feel grown up in a "making it in the big city" kind of way. Of course I'm hardly "making it," but sometimes you can almost believe you are. Tuck a copy of Business Mirror or Times under your arm and watch how people suddenly treat you respectfully-- and how confident you feel. Just don't bump into someone who will most likely talk to you about the headlines-- or worse, the opinion section.