Following my recent obsession about product reviewers, I've been reading several blogs reviewing everything from junk food to proper restaurants. These bloggers get tipped by restaurants whenever there's a new item on the menu. Fast food chains send them coupons to try new items for free, but most of the time the bloggers discover items by chance or through an avid reader's recommendation.
I am currently being amused by this blogger dedicated to fast food chains, and am thinking to myself if this guy has a death wish. Reviewing nothing but greasy burgers, deep fried sidings, milkshakes and such would surely take a toll on one's heart, not to mention waistline. It is just like a Supersize Me experiment, except with opposite objectives and it goes on indefinitely. At first I thought these are small-time bloggers having fun with Wordpress, but I noticed some online ads so I guess they're getting something out of risking their health.
At one point I also found myself on another blog dedicated to all kinds of "health foods". Unsurprisingly, the author is female and the interface is pink. Aside from reviews, it gives tips on how to cut calories without eating less. Although I am a healthy eater, I find that I don't want to read blogs about healthy eating. I am immensely enjoying the junk food reviewers' blogs more.
For one, the pictures of burgers, fries, candies and other snacks would make anybody drool. But then you read the reviews and you'll get a pretty balanced perspective on taste and nutritional value. The writers are just as health-conscious; in fact they post the nutritional information of every item reviewed along with the rating. They're not advocating junk food; if anything they might even be telling the public to stay as far away from processed foods as possible--if only the public could. But given that we are attracted to what's bad for us, the effect, of course, is opposite. What these writers do, therefore, is tell you if the food is worth being set back several thousand calories and hardened arteries. And if it isn't, you have to appreciate them for taking one for the team.
Health-conscious bloggers usually come off as naggers. Reading post afer post of product reviews singing praises for low number of calories, trans fat, absence of high fructose corn syrup and impressive fiber content becomes grinding after a while. In the case of fast food junkie blogs, ultimately I decide whether to eat a Big Mac or get a salad. It's up to me to interpret whether the indulgence is worth it or not. No one is pushing me to switch to Splenda and eat wheat germ and celery sticks forever. The mixed feelings I get from reading these blogs involve envy, virtuousity (at being disciplined) and lastly frustration about having a mature food preference.
I guess reviewing fast food makes sense because you can aford to keep your blog fresh with new posts as these items are cheap. I know of a local blogger who spends more than Php 1,000 out of his own pocket per review, and it doesn't look like he's getting anything out of it. Then again, why does he need to? I suppose the joy of good food should be enough.