It's the middle of summer and it's pouring outside. I love rain, but not on the day I'm going to suba dive, and not a week before I will go to Cebu (although my flight attendant friend said there isn't a single drop of rain in Cebu now). I've just finished a lunch fit for a yoga instructor (yogurt and a banana), and am very much miserable. Rain always makes me want to eat something rich. It doesn't help that I spent the whole morning reading blogs about restaurants. I wonder how one becomes recognized as a blogger enough to be invited to launches, parties, given freebies, etc.? I know you don't get paid, except maybe if you open your blog to advertisements, which I'm sure are usually exdeals. Being a blogger certainly seems appealing with all the new things you get to try to share to the public. Bloggers are increasingly valued as opinion leaders as more and more people turn to blogs for places to go and restaurants to try. I'm only wary of self-important bloggers who want to be treated like a VIP everywhere. The point in being a blogger, I think, is to represent an ordinary citizen's experience with a certain service or product. Although, who can really blame them? If I get free tickets, test products, party invitations and whatnot regularly in my mail, I'd get pompous too.
"What's that? Dinner on Friday night? Sorry I have this AXN party... The week after that? I think I'm going to this new spa in Tagaytay, but let me check..."
Or, "Hey, I've got VIP tickets to this club where DJ so-and-so will be spinning on Saturday night, but I'm fully booked with three restaurant openings and the Cosmo Awards afterparty. You want them? I can also get you in to a wine-tasting this Thursday at Highstreet. Bring your boyfriend."
B gets to try gadgets and test drive cars for his work and it is quite cool. I even helped him test drive a China-made car once. I had the car to myself for an entire weekend! I wish my job requires me to go to places and give my opinions on stuff. I need it to experience things I ordinarily wouldn't given my stinginess. That's the one big disagreement between B and I. Do you believe that we need to enjoy life all the time? Maybe it's my prudishness but I believe in sacrifice, deprivation and delayed gratification. I always feel unwholesome with too much richness and enjoyment. Is that so screwed?