Our household is a-buzz with excitement over the approaching wedding date of my cousin. At 31 years old, there's reason for the family to be happy that she's finally going to be married off. She's a gynecologist and probably the entire clan's role model of a good daughter. I've never heard anything bad said about her, which leads me to think not unfrequently that mom would've been happier having conceived her rather than me. But that's another story.
Seems like May 10 is a good date for weddings, as B's friend will be married on the same day. It's actually funny that we will be sharing the same church, the Manila Cathedral. His wedding is at 1:30 in the afternoon, while mine will follow at 3pm. What if we hadn't met? Would we even lock eyes as we pass each other? Would we--strangers to one another-- spark even the slightest interest at first sight? Queer how things might have turned out.
My family being so involved with the wedding preparations is causing some unpleasant effects for me. Take jewelry shopping, for instance. I went to Ongpin with my mom last weekend to find something I could wear. While the shopkeeper assumed it's a graduation gift, she was actually selecting sets that she's planning to give me on my engagement! They then started discussing what kind of jewelry and preparations my boyfriend's side of the family should provide, etc. You'd think I was going to be engaged in a few months! It seems like the topic of conversation of the family elders now, my being next in line that is. I once sulkily complained that it feels like they want to kick me out of the house already. It's bad enough that B is exactly in the marrying age and is being pressured by friends and relatives, but my family should know better. It reminds me of a story my dad told me:
Everytime there would be a wedding, a girl keeps getting teased by her elder relatives about her becoming the next one to marry.
"Uuuy, malapit na siya... Ikaw na ang susunod..." they'd tease.
One time, there was a funeral. Thinking that she will finally get back at her relatives, she then teased them, "Uuuy, malapit na siya... Ikaw na ang susunod..."
On May 10 I will be celebrating the weddings of two couples I am fond of in the company of two sets of people I like. It will be an awesome night, except for the teasing about marriage. I'm going to bet with B that we'll get no less than 10 marriage-related remarks from each party. At least we wouldn't be as annoyed.