"I saw a butterfly," he sobbed, both hands rubbing his eyes.
"A butterfly! But butterflies are so cute!" my dad said soothingly, crouching in front of Carlo. "Would you like me to catch it for you?"
"No! I'm afraid of butterflies!" Carlo was adamant.
Leaving my parents to console the disturbed child, I went on to wash the dishes and do some chores (see my patience for children??). At lunch time, we all trooped to my uncle's van for the trip back to Manila. It was then that I understood my nephew's terror, for the butterfly that he saw was this:
My uncle said it's called a mariposa, but that's merely Spanish for butterfly. It was nesting by the gate. I must admit I was freaked out as well. Look how huge that thing is! I wonder if it brought luck with it, as folk lore says a mariposa is wont to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment