Sunday, July 4, 2010

On a low and on a high

The opening of Forever 21 here in Manila is exaj!!! People are actually lining up to get into the store! Considering it's 2700 sq. m., they still need to accept customers by batches and that's why there are hunky bouncers at the entrance. My mom and I went during lunch time and fortunately the line hadn't started yet. I wasn't interested in anything because I've gotten off shopping for now, plus I was annoyed that they brought in the shop here. I don't even want to think about H&M putting up shop here. So anyway I was just inspecting the items and observing the seemingly crazed customers, while my mom was really looking for something she could wear. We met some time later and she said, "I didn't find anything I could wear! Everything seems too young!" She was genuinely baffled. I said, "Ma, that's why it's called Forever 21!" Her eyes grew wide with understanding and we ended up laughing about it.

When I was in Australia, I was shocked to find out they didn't have Topshop and Zara. Everyone I met was envious when I said proudly that those stores were everywhere in Manila. After staying there a few months and getting a hold of the shopping scene, I realized they had stores standing up for the MIA retail giants, and they didn't only make up for them, they were way cooler. One of my favorites and the cheapest, Supre, only sells Australian made stuff. It's like a huge warehouse with the coolest sales people. Another, Glue, carries brands from up and coming Australian designers to foreign ones, mostly Europe and the staples from US.

My point is, we don't have to import all the brands, we can try to make ours, or make what's already existing stronger, more appealing to the trend-setters and fashionistas in our country. We can have our own distinct Manila style, like how you know you're in Tokyo or you know someone's French. Anyway sorry for being too serious and negative. Maybe I will change my mind when I find a great bargain in Fashion 21. :)

Anyhoo I need to start packing!!! So annoying that the weather forecast says some rain during my stay in Singlala. I packed mostly shorts and tanks because people are saying it's melting hot there! It will be annoying if the sky will be perpetually overcast; it will look bad in the pictures and my clothes wouldn't be appropriate. Ooh and I'd hate to walk around with damp feet!

No comments:

Post a Comment