Thursday, November 18, 2010

I'm happy to report that our engagement ceremony took place without incident, and even though I got the jitters the night before, I was calm and collected on the day itself.

I was happy to see so many family members gathered in one place. I thanked them sincerely for coming, and was genuinely grateful for the congratulations and well wishes.

My family and his family made it all happen, and we both have nothing but gratitude and love in our hearts for them. A traditional engagement ceremony is considered the second most important event in every Chinese girl's life, the first being the wedding. I have mixed feelings about it. Partly, it's a sexist tradition, where the girl is treated like a piece of property pawned with material things.

On the other hand, it's the only way the current generation of Chinese kids can take relationships seriously, with the media eroding values and, more sadly I think, degenerating capability for wisdom.

After getting properly engaged, we're swamped with things to do! I was hoping to spend my remaining single days with my parents, but I don't think I'll be able to the way I imagined. :(

But busy as we are, it's safe to say that we're both enjoying the process even without a coordinator. I'm fortunate to have a fiance who does his part in all this, and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment