The good:
1. Brent presented himself as down-to-earth enough. He didn't try to keep the conversation in English, was dressed down to a polo shirt and jeans, and didn't try to sound cool by pretending not to relate to local showbiz. That's always a plus point to me.
2. The chivalry was a surpise. There's probably only one other guy who pulled out a chair for me on a date ever, but he was the only guy who remembered to push it back. I didn't mind that he would open his car door for me either and let me enter doors first.
3. He was smaller than I imagined, both in width and height. But he was confident enough. He didn't look too bad (after all).
4. He drives a black pick up. Enough said.
5. He listens and sticks to a topic. There were times when I fell silent which usually meant I have no more thoughts on the subject, but after a few beats he'd add something more.
6. I like that he says things like 'putcha' and would gesticulate in a very I'm-comfortable-telling-this-story-like-you're-a-guy way.
7. I feel like I know him already: he went to Grace Christian, and then to UST for college, and lives in Banaue. Fits the mold.
The bad:
1. Ever been forced into a conversation with a complete stranger and tried to fill the gaps of silence with any topic? That's what it felt like. Everytime a topic would dwindle, I had to come up with a next one quick or he'd take the silence as his turn to add something--anything--more on the subject. And because I had so little contextual clues about him, I'd get stumped every time so that I probably seemed like an airhead with all my, "Yeahh... hehe... " to cap off his inputs.
2. He fits too much into the Chinese late twenties mold. Even his family profile is so Chinese. I like guys who are like fish out of water.
3. He sort of agrees too much.
4. Is it standard protocol for a guy to compliment a girl he's met for the first time on a date? I'm pretty sure it is.
5. He seems to have dated too many girls for my liking.
6. I didn't find depth in thought, or anything about the character that piqued my interest. As I said, I like fish out of water. Maybe even damaged goods. Pershaps it's too early to tell, but definitely not too much to ask.
7. We are physically unmatched. :-
"2. The chivalry was a surpise. There's probably only one other guy who pulled out a chair for me on a date ever, but he was the only guy who remembered to push it back."
ReplyDeleteis that me sel..?