I have been reading Jessica Zafra's latest compilation, Twisted Travels. Reading travel books is dangerous. It inconveniently effects a sense of urgency to go somewhere right away.
The compilation are her travels from way back late 1990s until early 2000. In some stories, she made references to her singlehood, so, 8 years later, I wonder what her present age is and if she's hooked up yet. I couldn't help noticing that we have a lot in common, such as the following:
1. We both like cats.
2. We both have an aversion to small children.
3. She's a tennis fan, I'm a frustrated tennis player, which I'm guessing is what she is thereby becoming a fan.
4. We're both film junkies. One day I swear I'm going to those bigshot film festivals where I'd have to wear a gown to watch nude people onscreen.
5. Well, we like to travel. We are most ourselves when we're outside of our natural environment.
Wait a minute... Oh, hey! I know at least half a dozen people with the same characteristics, both fictional and real. How predictable are strong-willed women??
I always thought I'd be single for a long time, and I mean way longer than I'd like to be. My standards were so high that nobody I knew came close to eligibility as far as I'm concerned. I always knew the person I would marry would be wearing glasses, would be strict and paternal, but loose and open-minded where it mattered. I took it forgranted that he is somewhere out there, but I never fantasized about how I would fall in love, just how much I would be loved. I'm immature like that.
My biggest fear is marrying somebody who doesn't love me. I mean love in that sweeping, can't-breathe-without-you, wanna-fill-planet-with-our-spawn, will-make-love-to-you-despite-wrinkly-ass-and-sagging-boobs kind of way. A supposedly psychic once foretold that I'm gonna be with someone who doesn't truly love me, but I will marry somebody who does. I should've asked her if the guy would be wearing glasses. Anyway, in the meantime, I thought I'd be living on my own with a cat, trotting the globe and romanticizing loneliness.
I guess one doesn't plan for that kind of lifestyle; one just wakes up and finds oneself there. Of the many loathesome cliches, the one I hate the most is: You can't have everything in life. It totally sucks. I prefer this one: When you're honest with yourself about what you really want in life, life ultimtely gives it to you.
Well Life, you know what I want. Everything. *wicked laughter*